Monday, June 16, 2008

Being found on the Web is getting tougher

More evidence that if you ever want someone to look at your Web site you had better be getting social. Unless you've got SEO down so pat that you can show up in the top three search results you are pretty much toast. In the old days (like last year) you just shot to make it to the first page of search results as your goal-- The short attention span of web searchers: most never read past 3 results

Google users want instant gratification when they’re searching. How instant? The top 3 Google results get 79% of all clicks. The remaining 7 results share just 21% of the clicks. In other words, more than three quarters of Google users never click past the first three results.

And 90% never go past the first page? The mountain is getting taller. Then consider that 80% of content centric Web site visitors come from search.

If a tree falls in the forest...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 90% who never make it past the first page, what percentage of search clicks do they account for? Now, that search has become easy, I use it a lot more. For instance for looking up definitions. However, when I'm really searching for something, I'll go through multiple pages of results.

The question might be what kind of searchers do you want to be found by? They guy quickly looking up a definition? The intent searcher trying to solve a problem.